Author Topic: very dangerous scam  (Read 2740 times)

Offline cumbrian

• View Profile
very dangerous scam
« on: June 17, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
Recently I had an email with the senders address as "info@gov.uk". The title said that I was entitled to a tax credit. Obviously, I am not. When I scanned the web for the appropriate office to reject it I found someone was warning that this is a scam. The scammer hadn't realised that tax credit is not government language for tax refund.

Yesterday I got another email from "info@gov".uk and this time the title line referred to tax refund. I have seen no warnings relating to this scam but if you cannot trust the governments domain name then anyone could be in deep trouble.

The problem arises because scammers can create aliases. My stepson has had an email from the real caravan club stating that it had been "aliased." Be very aware! I have actually had one purporting to come from my own email address and issued by Pay Pal

Offline chiccomallo

• View Profile
    • http://www.colinspain.com/
Re: very dangerous scam
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2015, 08:12:10 PM »
They come up with a different scam every week.
http://www.colinspain.com/

Youtubepage  chicocolin1

Offline cumbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2015, 08:38:38 PM »
The significance about this scam is that it puts all @gov.uk based emails in doubt. I.e. all the email output of Her Majesty's Government departments.

Offline Tony673

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 08:04:41 AM »
If you get a sudden email from a government department that you are not already in contact with, ask yourself 'where did they get my email address from?'. That should immediately start bells ringing.
Long and short of it again is - if you don't recognize it - junk it.

Offline cumbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »
It is heart warming to find out that clever people can avoid these scams. It puts hope into the hearts of the rest of us! No reason; whatsoever, to Pity the rest of us: poor bas*tards.
Thank you.

Offline cumbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2015, 08:35:55 PM »
I would agree that my last reply was too strong. I was extremely annoyed. Even when you set about trying to help people there is always, it seems to me, someone who does nothing else but knock it or attack it. Being able to pretend that you are anyone you choose to be, even tony673 by using an alias, could obtain you a great deal of hate mail, or worse, when you have no knowledge of the source.

Offline Tony673

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2015, 08:18:29 AM »
My reply was in no way meant to be a knock as you put it, but a common sense approach to unsolicited emails. In this day and age, it isn't too difficult for an unscrupulous group to hack social media accounts and get user's details then attempt these scams. I'm sorry if my reply came through as criticism.

Offline chiccomallo

• View Profile
    • http://www.colinspain.com/
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2015, 10:15:25 AM »
I know this site gets attacked by spammers on a regular basis, I'm sure David has his work cut out trying to sort the good from the bad, having said that I keep managing to get through !
http://www.colinspain.com/

Youtubepage  chicocolin1

Offline Kenny_Park

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2015, 05:51:16 PM »
If you have any dodgy emails that you're unsure about, try this free email verifying site. It's dead simple to use:

http://verify-email.org/

You just copy & paste or type in the dodgy email address and press the VERIFY button

then just below it will instantly tell you if the address is good or bad!

Offline cumbrian

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2015, 10:23:08 AM »
The problem is that someone is aliasing existing valid email addresses. I have no idea how to retrieve the underlying address that was used. When I got the email said to be from Pay Pal the only sending address was my own email address which, I believe, is genuine. I did put the cursor on the send address but all I saw was my own address. I also took the option to declare it as a fishing scam. (I can always raise a replacement address if necessary.) The email was deleted by MS and it has had no detrimental effect on my email usage.

It has been suggested that if you get an email from .gov.uk and out of the blue then ignore it. Some time ago I wanted to email one of  H.M.G.’s departments. It would have gone to a *@gov.uk. However, I couldn’t and didn’t. The reason was that there now seems to be a requirement to register with a set up called “Gateway” before you can. I have no doubt that like most organisations registration will involve giving them your email address. I did not join Gateway. I do not know why it exists or how extensive it is, All I am certain of is that it will not benefit the user only the bureaucrats. Anyone else come across Gateway yet?

Offline kazren

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2015, 01:24:17 AM »
Gateway is very widely used, I have had no problems with it , hope this helps

Offline Tony673

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2015, 07:59:46 AM »
I registered through Gateway a number of years ago and again no problems.